Saturday, January 22, 2011

So I Said I'd Never Shoot A Wedding

I don't want to shoot weddings because I don't want to deal with Bridezilla or the potentially scarier Mother of Bridezilla. *Cue scarey music from Psycho* Weddings can bring the best and the worst out in people. A lot of time and money is spent to make everything just right. Because you only get one shot at the day, it can cause people a lot of stress. And stress has a way of bubbling up insecurities sometimes combined with a shrill and loud tone.

I do love the concept of weddings though -- a celebration of the union and lifelong commitment of two people. I liked it so much, I had one! Just one, and I'm still married to Margot ... 14 ... 11 ... a number of years later.

More after the jump.

I first met Mel probably 5 years ago as a friend of a friend at a motorcycle meet. Throughout the years I would see her now and again and I really enjoyed her friendly and fun-loving attitude. And she had a cat too which rates high in my books. She asked if I would be interested in doing maternity photos for her when she found out she was expecting. We did a number of shoots at our friend Jenn's place. I also did a shoot in the fall with Mackenzie. Here are just a few samples:






One day Mel called me up and said, "I know you don't do weddings but ..." She continued, "You don't have to say yes or no right now, just think about it and let me know." She's a smart woman because guess what I'm doing today.

2 comments:

  1. Skiing?

    I'm looking forward to seeing the results. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a great time doing the fall shots..this was my favourite shoot to date. I love the colours and the natural lighting.

    The maternity shots were a lot of fun, too, and I'm so glad that we did them. They're a great series to have, and they complete Mackenzie's room.

    Thanks again James for doing such a wonderful job!!

    ReplyDelete